2019: Poem 1: The Wall of Thinopo

POETRY - the word itself creates a sense of some haunting and beautiful emotion.

Many, many years ago, I had, on occasions, written some poems - probably about 3 or 4 pieces.

Ever since I started seriously writing - on my blog, and the short stories - I never ever imagined myself writing poetry. I always believed I'm not poetic enough or artistic enough or creative enough or bright enough or sad enough or mad enough to do so.

But I hate giving up on a challenge. So, when this year, my South Africa-based writers group came up with a poetry challenge - 12 Poems in 12 Months - I signed up for it.

Being preoccupied with things to be done in the real world, I didn't have the mental space to let my imagination soar. So, I did the best thing I could. I thought up a story with a little lesson (like I do with my stories ๐Ÿ˜Š ) and got it to flow with rhyme and rhythm. So maybe it's more cerebral than emotional. Do read and let me know what you thought of it
....

                                                                     xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx





The tiny village of Thinopo 
Was bordered by a wall
No one tried to climb it though, 
Worrying, ‘What if I fall?’

One day Setu of Thinopo, 
Working on his farm,
Wanting to forget all his woes, 
Began to hum a song.

‘Thinopo is beautiful, green fields and the red earth,
I find no place as wonderful, as this, the land of my birth!’

Across the wall, a loud voice called, 
‘Who makes this foolish claim?
What have you seen of the outside world, 
       which places – tell me their names!’


Unfazed, Setu of Thinopo
Continued yelling his song,
Until, alerted by the row,
His friends all gathered around.

Voices screamed from across the wall, 
Saying, ‘Our village is the best,
‘We have yellow flowers and a blue waterfall, 
And birds singing in their nests.’

In jest did the argument begin, 
But soon it took an ugly turn,
Setu’s voice was lost in the din, 
As hearts began to burn.

Suddenly there came a holy man 
Walking calmly on top of the wall,
Towards him all the people ran, 
Begging him their problem to solve.

By his power, he raised them up, 
And everyone could now see,
That Thinopo and the other village 
Were as same as could be.

Even today when these village elders 
See young men rushing into a brawl,
They raise a warning, 
‘Don’t say anything, 
                   Before you climb the wall!’


Note: Please don't search on Google for a place called Thinopo - it doesn’t exist. It was just something I came up with – a sort of acronym for “THis Is NOt POssible”. Now read the title of my poem again and tell me, does it make sense?

Looking forward to hearing what you think of this poem ๐Ÿ˜„

Comments

  1. Wow ! What a surprise. Really nice. Way beyond my expectations! And of course the concept of ThiNoPo is too good. A great ThiNoPo confluence of head and heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha!! Thank you so much Vatsala! I'm thrilled to have beaten your expectations :-)

      Delete
  2. It is quite wonderful Anu. Story,Moral and poetic too. Really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Viji! I'm really happy you liked it, and at the response so far :-)

      Delete
  3. Very nice.
    You seem to have variety in your abilities.

    Keep adding different feathers onto your cap of creativity and thereby influencing other's lives.
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super Mami ๐Ÿ‘Œ THIPO (this is possible)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice poem with a good message. ๐Ÿ‘Œ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! It reminds me of Tamilnadu and Karnataka people claiming my land is the best best... Without realizing how more blind and unfortunate could we be that we cannot see the best of both worlds and appreciate the challenges of each state.

    I really loved how, in a subtle way you conveyed the message.
    AnuKavitha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice. As usual the surprise element till the end, and the uplifting feel after reading. These two traits are synonymous to Anu's lekhani or เคคूเคฒिเค•ा!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi GM Anu. A beautiful poem with a wonderful message. U r super talented. I like ur simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Madam,
    I told that your prose is like poetry.

    Now your poetry is also excellent.

    But please don't stop writing the nice thought provoking stories.

    Really great !!!

    All the best ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sir, for your kind praise!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shanti Nilaya: Abode of Peace

2020: Story 3: Half Salary, Double Husband