2020: Story 4: A Teacher's Dilemma

Prompt: Agenda                           Word count: 750

“Ma’am, I want to talk to you about something,” says my student Seema, standing at the staffroom door.

We walk to the empty lab next door, and she spills the beans. Thankfully, it’s not as complex as I anticipated – some miscommunication with the office regarding her exam application. Seema wants me to intervene as her requests have fallen on deaf ears.

Wondering for the umpteenth time at the student grapevine that drives kids with problems to our staffroom, I walk to the office, and talk to the concerned person. She’s not too happy with my involvement but can’t refuse a teacher, so she agrees to look into the problem.

Two days later, Seema is back. The problem hasn’t been resolved yet. I go again and talk to the office assistant, insisting she look into the matter at once. I tell Seema to follow the matter up and let me know what happens.

A few days later, I ask the office clerk about the issue.

“Oh, that! I did what you instructed the very next day!”

“Thank you so much, dear.”

I think the obvious thought. Students can be so self-centred. They come to you when they have problems to be solved. Once things are set right, they forget the simple courtesy of informing you that it’s been done.

Please notice – I’m not saying they don’t come back to thank you. For that expectation of gratitude is something I’ve given up long ago. It’s a lesson learned after suffering through several meetings of my Heart and Head where the agenda has been just one – to decide if one must continue to empathise and sympathise and go out of the way to help those who take it for granted. Those who greet you only in those semesters when you’re teaching them, and look straight through you otherwise.

Head glares at me and huffs and puffs, saying, “Look at all your experiences. For every one student who takes your help and is grateful, there are 10 who can’t be bothered. You need to look at this logically, and conserve your emotional energy instead of wasting it by trying to help all and sundry.”

Heart looks at me with a smile and purrs, reminding, “Wasn’t that one student worth the effort? There will be quite a few such ‘ones’ – is it fair to deprive them just because of the many ‘tens’? And how will you find that ‘one’ except by wading through the ‘ten’ others?”

Year after year, it gets more and more difficult to hear the whisper of the Heart over the din of the Head.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 

“Ma’am I want to talk to you about something,” says my student Yash. We’re in the lab, and the other students have all left. I brace myself for what’s coming. Not from Yash, but from the impromptu meeting I can sense being called between Head and Heart.

“Ma’am, I don’t want to give the presentation for which I agreed yesterday. Please give my topic to someone else.”

Head warns me, “Agree to his request. You have 10 other pending jobs to complete. Don’t waste time and energy trying to convince him!”

Heart smiles with encouragement, “You don’t know if he belongs to the ‘ones’ or ‘tens’. Listen to him first.”

Head scowls at Heart.

“Why are you backing out now, Yash?”

“Ma’am, you know I’m not good at English. I won’t be able to speak fluently. Everyone will laugh at my pronunciation. I’ll make a fool of myself. I’m so scared, ma’am!”

His words are almost drowned out by the din Head is creating.

“You’re here to teach Herbal Drug Technology, not personality development! Let him go!”

I strain my ears to catch Heart’s whispering.

“You’ve seen that ad for ‘Mountain Dew’ soft drink? Remind him about it and see if you can get him to change his mind!”

Head is fuming now. Heart has her eyes closed in prayer.

“Yash, you’ve seen that ad for ‘Mountain Dew’? Remember it’s tagline?”

“Darr key aagey jeet hai!” he smiles.

“Exactly! 'Victory comes only when you go beyond fear!' It’s good for you that you have recognized your fear. Don’t you owe it to yourself to at least try to overcome it, Yash? This isn’t just a presentation, it’s a test of your determination. And the Yash I know isn’t one who bunks tests!”

Seeing him nod, and watching his face begin to take on a look of grim resolve, I relax. 

It’s a small victory. 

For both of us.


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've written this story out of my own experience.  

Yet, the situation depicted here is faced by not just a teacher, but by anyone who makes an effort to help others grow. 

Thankfully, Heart is still going strong for me because of spiritual practice that is teaching me how to stay detached from expectations even as I continue to empathize and guide. If you want to learn how to cultivate this spirit, feel free to ask! 

And yes, Yash did make his presentation finally, and did a good job of it too!

Comments

  1. My wish : Every teacher and every student like our Yash should adapt this and move ahead ! It is the best time to move ahead !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Thank you, Attambhi!

      Delete
    2. Very true mam. I also go down many a times experiencing such denies. Some other time convince myself saying it's all student tendency..you are only a channel.. don't take to head..but heart doesn't agree

      Delete
    3. You're right, that's the spirit to take it! Thank you for sharing this!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2019: Poem 1: The Wall of Thinopo

Shanti Nilaya: Abode of Peace

2020: Story 3: Half Salary, Double Husband